All Kenyans above 18 years are eligible to register for NHIF membership. One can apply for a single membership or family membership which allows them to include their declared spouse and children below 18. NHIF registers all eligible members from both the formal and informal sectors. For those in the formal sector, it is compulsory to be a member. For those in the informal sector and retirees, membership is open and voluntary.
Requirements for NHIF Registration As a Self-Employed Member
One can register online, in any of our branches or Huduma Centers nationwide. When registering, one needs to attach the following:
- Copy of ID
- Passport-sized photo – colored
- Copy of spouse’s ID if applying for a family cover
- Sworn affidavit or marriage certificate if adding a spouse
- Copy of Birth Certificates (or birth notification for children below 6 months)
- Passport size photo of spouse and children – colored
- Kshs 500 for the informal sector
Requirements for NHIF Online Registration
- Visit NHIF registration portal on http://www.nhif.or.ke/healthinsurance/registeronline/
- Click on the self-employed icon and fill in the required fields.
- Attach a copy of ID and passport photo
- To include a spouse on the cover, provide details in the space provided and attach copies of their passport photo
How Much You Will Be Required to Pay for Initial Registration
You will be required to pay KES 1500 after initial registration. This will load your card for three months as it awaits activation after 60 days (2 months)
How Long It Takes Process Membership Registration
Immediately after registration, a member will be notified of their NHIF membership number. Processing and issuing of membership cards is done within a period of 14 working days if all documents are provided.
How Long It Will Take to Start Using Your Card
After registration, your card will become active after 60 days (2 months).